There are several Health benefits and Good Reasons to eat bananas:
Why are bananas so important, Bananas are not only rich in vitamins and fibre but are also fat-free and cholesterol-free.
1. Bananas are one of the best fruit sources of vitamin B6:
- Vitamin B6 from bananas is easily absorbed by your body and a medium-sized banana can provide about a quarter of your daily vitamin B6 needs.
- Vitamin B6 helps your body:
- Produce red blood cells,
- Metabolize carbohydrates and fats, turning them into energy,
- Metabolize amino acids,
- Remove unwanted chemicals from your liver and kidneys, and
- Maintain a healthy nervous system.
- Vitamin B6 is also good for pregnant women as it helps meet their baby’s development needs.
2. Bananas are respectable sources of vitamin C:
- You may not associate bananas with vitamin C but a medium-sized banana will provide about 10% of your daily vitamin C needs.
- Vitamin C helps:
- Protect your body against cell and tissue damage.
- Your body absorbs iron better.
- Your body produces collagen – the protein which holds your skin, bones, and body together.
- Support brain health.
3. Manganese in bananas is good for your skin:
- One of the good Reasons to eat bananas is for our Skin.
- One medium-sized banana provides approximately 13% of your daily manganese needs. Manganese helps your body make collagen and protects your skin and other cells against free radical damage.
4. Potassium in bananas is good for your heart health and blood pressure:
- A medium-sized banana will provide around 320-400 mg of potassium, which meets about 10% of your daily potassium needs.
- Potassium helps your body maintain a healthy heart and blood pressure. In addition, bananas are low in sodium. The low sodium and high potassium combination helps to control high blood pressure.
5. Bananas can aid digestion and help beat gastrointestinal issues:
- A medium banana will provide about 10-12% of your daily fibre needs. Singapore’s Health Promotion Board recommends a daily dietary fibre intake of 20g for women and 26g for men. Bananas, especially newly-ripened ones, contain starch that does not digest (resistant starch) in your small intestine and is able to pass into the large intestine. Such bananas help you manage your weight better as you stay full for longer.
- That said, bananas can help you beat gastrointestinal issues such as constipation, stomach ulcers, and heartburn.
6. Bananas give you energy – minus the fats and cholesterol:
- Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose – giving you a fat and cholesterol-free source of energy. As such, bananas are ideal, especially for children and athletes, for breakfast, as a midday snack or before and after sports.
People always ask why are bananas so healthy. The answer is simply given in the above-detailed discussion. Bananas give energy which is fats free, it is also a good source of potassium. and manganese.